Here is a fun fact about the Classic Pina Colada Cocktail : It has been the national drink of Puerto Rico since 1978!
Now, there are stories of a Puerto Rican pirate who knew just how to boost his crew’s morale. To do this, he gave them a beverage that contained coconut, pineapple, and white rum-essential ingredients of the Classic Pina Colada Cocktail, as you are about to find out. But the good pirate died. In 1845. Along with his secret; a recipe for this great cocktail. It was only until 1954 that Ramon Marrero came up with his version of the recipe that Puerto Ricans and the rest of the world enjoy to date. Okay, that is too much history. Let’s get down to it already!
- Bacardi White Rum.
- Malibu Coconut-flavoured Rum.
- Fresh, heavy cream.
- Pineapple juice.
- Pineapple pieces.
- Crushed ice.
- Maraschino sherry.
Like most cocktails with one or more solids, the ingredients for making the Classic Pina Colada Cocktail must be blended. Therefore, having a blender is major key for this recipe.
- Crush some ice into smaller pieces and place inside a blender, then follow with nicely chopped pineapple pieces. The smaller the pieces, the easier the blending will be.
- Now, add 60ml of pineapple juice in the same blender.
- In the mixture, add in 30 ml of Bacardi White Rum, followed by an equal amount of the Malibu Coconut-flavoured rum.
- Blend the contents for around 10-15 seconds.
- Stop the blender and add 15 ml of fresh cream in the mixture, now liquid.
- After that, blend for another 5-7 seconds to mix evenly.
- Finally, serve in a chilled hurricane glass then garnish with a pineapple wedge and a maraschino sherry.
Given the frosty nature of this creamy dose of goodness, you can throw in a jumbo straw or two and sip away! But first, take a moment and marvel at the frothy consistency of the cocktail in your glass. That’s the work of your hands!