The cosmopolitan cocktail is one with a shaky origin story. Some argue that it is from the 1930s, while others, early 1900s (1903 to be specific). The most recognized version, however, is that the Cosmopolitan Cocktail was invented by Toby Cecchini of The Odeon in Manhattan in 1987. But why dwell on the past when the present is this tasty? Whichever the year, whoever invented it must have had us cocktail lovers in mind. Our job, therefore, is to appreciate them with every sip we take.
Below are some two simple recipes to a perfect cosmopolitan cocktail that you can try at home:
Note: These recipes can be tweaked to a preferred taste; either mild or strong. The choice is yours.
- Absolut Vodka (or any citron vodka)
- Cranberry juice
- Contour juice
- Orange zest to garnish.
- The first step is to chill the glass. Scoop some ice cubes and place in a glass. Preferably, a martini glass.
- Add 3 shots of vodka in a shaker. (Can be more or less, depending on how strong you want your cocktail to be).
- In the shaker containing the vodka, add 2 parts of contour and 2 parts of cranberry juice.
- Slightly squeeze in then drop 1 or 2 wedges of lime in the mixture
- Now add ice to the same shaker and give it a good shake.
- Strain in your pre-chilled martini glass and garnish with a slice of orange zest.
Note: Unlike most cocktails, you do not have to add ice cubes in the cosmopolitan. Pre-chilling the glass is enough.
Method 2: Making a Cosmopolitan Cocktail Using Triple Sec.
Triple Sec simply adds to the alcohol volume in your cocktail. Therefore, if you must use it, you may want to go easy with the vodka shots. Remember, the goal is to enjoy, not get drunk.
- Lime Juice
- Triple Sec
- Cranberry juice
- Zest to garnish
- Pre-chill a stem cocktail glass
- Add 22 ml of citron vodka (or Absolut vodka) into a shaker. Again, this can be more, depending on how strong you want the end result to be.
- In the same shaker, add 15 ml of triple sec
- Now add 22ml of lime juice and a splash of cranberry juice.
- Give the mixture a good shake.
- Strain the cocktail in the pre-chilled glass.
- To garnish, slightly squeeze in a lime wedge then drop it in the glass.